- Hokkaido Student Ministry with fmZERO - 2020 School Year
Come and join an exciting and vital ministry to university students in Sapporo, the largest city north of Tokyo.Young Adults and Students, Personal Evangelism, Urban, Personal Discipleship
Start Date: March 02, 2020
End Date: February 28, 2021
The students of today are the leaders of tomorrow. Sadly, though there are about 50,000 students in Sapporo, very few are Christians; many of the churches do not even have one student. Yet, they are open to new things; they’re at a stage to consider their identity, their direction in life. That is why at fmZERO we want to make the most of this window of opportunity. We long to see loads of Japanese students coming to know and love the Lord Jesus and so making an impact on the Japanese church and on Japanese society.
You could help follow up the many students we have contact with, befriend them, share your faith with them, share God’s living and powerful Word with them, both formally and informally. You could help us to be an encouragement and support to the few Christian students in Sapporo who struggle to share their faith with others. You could also help us to make contact with the thousands of Japanese students in Sapporo who don’t yet know Jesus.
Sapporo has 4 distinct seasons. The winters are cold and long with a lot of snow for half the year, which some struggle with. Snow shovelling may be required, but the heating inside apartments and buildings is generally good! It is a city of about 2 million with good public transport in the centre, but not so much in the suburbs. It can be difficult adjusting to the differences of Japanese culture, and Japanese is a challenging language to learn, but it is a relatively safe and convenient place to live.
• Helping with monthly fmZERO events - planning, publicity, decorations, food,
games, discussions, giving your testimony, perhaps drama / music where appropriate.
• Attending weekly English Speaking Societies or other groups on campus to meet students.
• Following up with individuals or groups of students, befriending them, sharing your faith with them.
• Leading Bible studies with individuals or groups of students as opportunities arise.
• University degree.
• Survival level Japanese. (If you do not have this level, but are willing to learn whilst here, please feel free to inquire.)
• Some experience of student ministry.
• A servant attitude.
• Flexibility and working well with a team.
• Emotionally stable and self-sufficient. (You may need to work on your own on occasions, and there can be times when students are not around. You will need to be able to cope with the potential loneliness.)
• Initiative in following up individuals, reaching out to people and loving them.
• Ability to adjust to a very different culture.
• Willing to accept a challenge and have a go at things even if you have no experience.
• Able to get around town on your own, either on public transport or by bicycle.
• Self-discipline in time management.
Looking for one year placements beginning in March to align with the Japanese school year,.
Japan needs workers to partner with the Japanese church in the task of sharing the gospel and making disciples.More opportunities
Befriend young adults and tertiary students, journey with them as they make the transition into adulthood and nurture them into life-long disciples of Christ.More opportunities
Share God’s ever-lasting love, grace and hope with those who have never heard.More opportunities
Ministry in the urban setting includes more than reaching the upwardly mobile urbanites. It also needs to serve the neglected, marginalized urban poor.More opportunities
Come alongside new believers as they grow deeper in their understanding of God and His word.More opportunities